This was one of those mornings where I couldn’t find matching comfy socks, but I couldn’t let that stand in the way of celebrating Friday! Time to kick off the weekend with my favorite links from this week. Enjoy! (and may you find matching socks.)
- Mistborn! If you’ve been a reader for a while, you know that I have a great respect for Brandon Sanderson’s work. As such, I’m happy to announce that a video game based on his Mistborn series will be released in Fall 2013 for PlayStation3, Xbox 360, PC and Mac.
- Steampunk Coolness: How about a Lego Steampunk Shark Submarine Automaton?
- Are you interested in superspeed travel? ET3.com has designed, in cooperation with unnamed parties in China, an Evacuated Tube Transport (ETT) system that would be able to take passengers from New York to Beijing in two hours.
- Calling all Doctor Who fans: A new trailer has been released by BBC previewing the new season. The link also includes all kinds of Doctor Who goodies.
- Geek News: Researchers think they may have discovered how memories are encoded in the brain. Hm…there must be a new sci-fi story buried in there somewhere.
- Batman meets Lego: ParanickFilmz has created the entire trailer for The Dark Knight Rises in Legos.
- More steampunk goodness: Bjorn Hurri has created retro illustrations of Star Wars characters in full steampunk regalia. The artwork is really quite beautiful.
- Giveaway: Tor is offering to 5 lucky entrants a copy of Rebecca Cantrell‘s A Night of Long Knives. The deadline is April 20, 2012. (This murder mystery set in Nazi Germany is not SFF but looked interesting so here you go.)
- Are you tired of your old computer display? Jinha Lee and mentor Cati Boulanger created a 3D desktop that allows the user to reach into the projected 3D output space with his/her hands to directly manipulate the windows.
- Zombie Alert! How would you like to run a 5k obstacle course race infested with zombies. Now’s your chance to try at 11 locations nationwide. And, uh, good luck.
- To wrap it up, here’s a 2:29 minute video trailer previewing Rise of the Guardians. I saw that and I’m thinking something along the lines of Greek mythology, but I couldn’t be farther from the truth…or could I? Dreamworks is bringing us an adventure featuring our favorite childhood heroes like Santa, the Sandman, the Tooth Fairy…you get the picture. I wasn’t too sure about this one until I saw the trailer. Now I’m thinking this looks like fun. Here you go:
Enjoy your weekend, everyone! See you next week.