Happy Star Wars Day! Yes, another year has come and gone and already it’s May the 4th — Star Wars Day.
Of course, we could say Happy Avengers Day. One would think that’s the case with all the hoopla surrounding the new Avengers movie coming out in theaters today. But Avengers Day is actually May 19 so we’ll leave that for another day.
Now, on with my favorite links from this week.
- If you know Star Wars, you probably know Firefly. But did you know that one particular enterprising person has started work on a Firefly Lego playset? Check it out. Serenity makes a great Lego ship.
- Giveaway: Calling all lovers of YA sci-fi and fantasy! Tor Forge is giving away four prize packs, each containing 13 YA SFF novels and worth more than $160! Deadline is June 8, 2012.
- You know someone is a Batman fan when they sport a Bat-stache. To make your own Bat-stache, click here to see the man who sculpted his facial hair to look like the Batman logo.
- Do you love stained glass? How about video game-inspired stained glass? DeviantART user Veggie-San creates stained glass art depicting amazing motifs like Halo Legendary Shields. You can order your own from the artist here. (Other patterns are also available, including more traditional patterns like crosses.)
- Have you heard the latest news about the new Hobbit movie? It seems not everyone is excited about what they’ve seen so far, but Director Peter Jackson is defending his work, stating that filming at a faster rate of 48-frames-per-second yields a very different look. To his credit, that should be great for the 3-D format the movie is being created for. Here’s the whole story.
- Are you a Diablo video game fan? Here’s a link to the new 30-second TV trailer for Diablo III, set for release May 15.
- Giveaway: Tor is giving away on Goodreads 10 copies of the YA fantasy Dark Companion by Marta Acosta. Deadline is June 8, 2012.
- I love SFF art! Here’s a picture some say is like a cross between Norman Rockwell and the Transformers — not a bad description, I say.
- What would you say if you saw Link at your favorite coffee shop? Well, since that’s unlikely, how about a chalk drawing of the Legend of Zelda hero by talented artist and barista Sara Jahn?
And now for the pièce de résistance. In honor of Star Wars day, here is The Jedi Hunter in all of its geeky goodness. This fun 8-minute video won the 2003 Audience Choice Award in the 2003 Official Star Wars Fan Film Awards and is one of TIME magazine’s Top 10 Star Wars Fanfilms. Just think “a mash-up of Star Wars and The Crocodile Hunter” and you’ll pretty much get the idea. Click below and follow the now-Australian Boba Fett as he hunts down the deadly Jedi.
That’s it for today. Have a great weekend and May the Fourth be with You!